Tuesday 19 August 2014

Let me Tap that


In a new age where double tapping a picture of a Random  on your smart phone is considered kinder than smiling at a stranger on the street, and where half the "friends" we "follow" don't even know we exist, I think this deffinalty calls for a check up- on our selves.


Who are we? The invisible, silent generation? Propping up the "special" select hundred thousand on the internet? It is human nature to be curious, a little nosey- but when did curiosity cross over into obsession? When did it become more important that your phone was plugged in charging at night, opposed to your self?

I am certainly not one to talk, i personally  am following over 750 impersonal people on social media, scrolling through thier brainless updates of coffee dates and sunsets like im in some kind of trance.

It isnt any wonder the rate of depression is higher than ever amongst 15-30 year olds.
How can we possibly ever give our selves the chance to reach our full potential if all ur spare time is speant putting Norwegian  fittness models on pedestals, and uploading photos of our boring lives desperately  trying to convince everyone we are actually so happy and  living the "dream".


Truth is even Kanye has a boring Tuesday, sometimes Cara Delevgine doesn't have her tounge wagging and Dan Bilzearain probably has friends who aren't size 6 and do wear clothes that cover more than their hoochies.




We are all literally caught in the game, it feels good too highlight our fondest moments and share our prettiest smiles, it feels even better because there are a few hundred people who actually care and encourage us to share them too.

Social media feels like the ultimate approval, but a lot of the reason people follow each other and like each others photos is so that they get the same in return.

The ammount of times I have heard someone say 'Did you unfollow me?!' - TRANSLATION - ' I can't believe you don't LOL at my sloth memes and find my TBT summer pics attractive' 


I hate how insecure I had allowed myself to become, I would wake up turn on my phone stare at a body I didn't have, a house I could fit my whole house in (8 times), a job I knew would take a lot of tears,frequent flyer points and sheer luck to achieve, a car I would most likely never get closer to than my glass iphone screen to touch and watch all the "BFFs" share their weekly Mochas together-  then get out of  my modest queen bed, look at my self with birdnest hair and boyfriends old Tshirt on and feel way to overwhelmed and out of my depth to even try. Think about it, and elite Athelite doesn't go and watch his/her competitor train all day, the get out there with no distractions believing in their own ability and kick ass!


From now on I've decided to become my own idol, I want to love myself to absolute pieces. This does not mean posting a thousand glorified photos of myself, or putting myself before anyone else- this means being my number one Fan, knowing that my beauty isn't measured by the approval of a stranger with an App installed, that it is all the way through.

Enjoying my Eggs Benedict before they get cold from filtering, walk on the beach and say lovely things to the person I love and mean them wholeheartedly with no distractions, share moments with the people who I LOVE and who LOVE me, and if the moment is captured it is by chance- not nessistiy.


 I have deceived to turn my phone  on flight mode 8pm-8am allowing my self the head space to dream and focus- On the dreams I don't just want to view on my iphone I want to quite literally "Follow".

Be your own best friend, sit in your own company with out anxiously looking for some kind of android.

Be present when you meet with friends or family, and lastly Dance like nobody is watching! - Because chances are they aren't, and are on their phones anyway! 



*** this posits not intended to slander the people on social media! or people who have achieved thier goals- just simply pointing out that your dreams and life is important too***





No comments:

Post a Comment